Epilogue

....On the same day that Jesus rose from the dead, two of His disciples were traveling to a small village about seven miles from Jerusalem. As they walked, they spoke of the things concerning Him, as a Prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, and of how the chief priests and rulers had delivered Him to be condemned to death, and had crucified Him. Yet they were hoping He would be the One to redeem Israel. Three days had passed, and now something else had occurred:

....Earlier that morning, certain women of their company had gone to the tomb and returned with a message that astonished them all. For they had not found His body, but said that a vision of angels had appeared to them and told them that He was alive. Then certain others went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said to them – but Him they did not see.
.
.... And so it happened, as they spoke to one another in this way, that Jesus Himself drew near.."O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken! Ought not the Christ to have suffered these things and to enter into His glory?" And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself:
.... "Then I said, 'Behold, I come; in the scroll of the book it is written of Me. I delight to do Your will, O My God, and Your law is within My heart'."
(Psalm 40:7-8)
.....The disciples marveled at His gracious words, as ancient prophecy transcended the pages of Scripture and came to life before them. The eyes of their understanding were opened and they were deeply moved from within. Later they would say to one another, "Did not our heart burn within us while He talked with us on the road, and while He opened the Scriptures to us?"
.
....Later that night, Jesus appeared to His chief disciples, called apostles, who were hidden with fear and discussing the same events. "Peace to you." He told them; but they were terrified, and thought they had seen a spirit.
.... "Why are you troubled?" He asked them. "And why do doubts arise in your hearts? Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have." And when He had said this, He showed them His hands and feet with their nail prints, and He ate and drank in their presence.
.... "He will swallow up death forever, and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from all faces; the rebuke of His people he will take away from all the earth; for the LORD has spoken. And it will be said in that day: "Behold, this is our God; we have waited for Him, and He will save us. This is the LORD; we have waited for Him; we will be glad and rejoice in His salvation."
(Isaiah 25:8-9)
.... And when they were calmed, He repeated the same lessons to them: "These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me." And He opened their understanding that they might comprehend the Scriptures. For the prophecies that foretold Him were designed to be matched with His life one day, and of this the apostles had now become witnesses:.

.... "Search from the book of the LORD, and read: not one of these shall fail; not one shall lack her mate. For My mouth has commanded it, and His Spirit has gathered them."

(Isaiah 34:16) .
....Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, whom our heavenly Father sent into the world to reconcile mankind to Himself – for all have sinned and fallen short of His glory, and the wages of our sin is death. Jesus paid that wage on our behalf, or ‘redeemed’ us, by giving His life in our place. For only the Son of God could have paid such an enormous ransom, and only through giving Himself as our substitute.

....Through the sufferings, death and resurrection of Christ, our lives were bound with His. For He took our sins, griefs and sorrows upon Himself, and all of their pain, and brought them down into the grave with Him. And just as He rose to newness of life, a new life will be given to those who trust in Him. So we are indebted to Him now, not for our sins, but life for life, that we may become His own special people:

.... "For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died; and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again."

(2 Corinthians 5:14-15)

.....After His Resurrection, Jesus remained with His disciples forty days, speaking to them of things pertaining to the Kingdom of God. He then led them to the Mount of Olives, which is near Jerusalem, and gave them His final instructions. Finally, as they watched, He was taken up and a cloud received Him out of their sight.

.... "You have ascended on high, you have led captivity captive; you have received gifts among men, even from the rebellious, that the LORD God might dwell there."

(Psalm 68:18)

....Jesus sat down at the right hand of God, as the prophets foretold of Him. And while the apostles looked steadfastly toward heaven, two men stood by them in white apparel, who said to them:

.... "Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven."

(Acts 1:11)

....For at the end of days, Jesus Himself will return from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel and with the trumpet of God; and the dead in Christ shall arise at that time. And we who are alive and remain will be changed in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, to be gathered together with Him in the clouds:

.... 'He shall call to the heavens from above, and to the earth, that He may judge His people: "Gather My saints together to Me, those who have made a covenant with Me by sacrifice."
.... 'Let
the heavens declare His righteousness, for God Himself is Judge.'

(Psalm 50:4-6)

....Whoever believes in Jesus will not be condemned, but will pass from death into life; but those who do not believe are condemned already, because they have not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
.
....To begin a relationship with the Lord Jesus and receive Him, we must confess Him with our mouth and believe in our heart that God has raised Him from the dead (Romans 10:9). This appeal may be expressed to God through heartfelt prayer. Below is a model you may use, but feel free to express these basic thoughts in your own words:
.

....God, I believe that Jesus came from You, and that You sent Him into the world. I believe You gave Him Your words, and that He spoke to us all that You commanded Him. I believe You have given all things into His hand; and I humble myself, confess Jesus as my Lord, and surrender my life to You, according to Your purpose. I trust you to work in my life as it may seem good to You.
....I believe that Jesus gave Himself for my sins, and I believe in my heart that You have raised Him from the dead. I confess my sins to You, and my need for You; I repent of my sins, and I ask for Your forgiveness through Jesus, that I may receive the new life that You have given through Him.
....And I thank You for Your love, which You have shown us in giving us Your only Son. I believe that You reward those who diligently seek You, so I ask that You continue to teach me and help me understand Your words; that You be glorified through my new life, and that You always make me more like Jesus as I learn.


....I am eager to hear from You and to know You better. In Jesus’ name I pray ... Amen.

.
(see Scriptural references in the 'comments' section)

To view the credits, please click HERE.